Vol. 1: "Soft Landings..."
Dr. Ben Bernanke, in a speech on November 21, 2002 laid out a playbook of options for the Federal Reserve to run should it ever lose control of monetary policy in the face of massive deflation. Intended primarily as a thought experiment, this graph shows the Fed losing control as we speak. Witness the (relative) stability of the federal funds rate until the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers and the reverse take-under of A.I.G.. Up until today, the effective federal funds rate has never approached its zero limit... never-ever.
We are truly balancing on the edge of economic science and there is no chart for where we are going. This is a Ph.d level, alchemy lab improvisation called "Quantitative Easing." The Federal Reserve is synthesizing a powerful medicine, but they don't know if they're missing an ingredient, and they have no idea what size dose to give. To much and the patient will OD chasing the inflation dragon. To little and he'll go into cardiac arrest.
Click here to understand what I'm talking about.
And here to read "The Unthinkable Has Happened" by Tracy Alloway, Ftalphaville.ft.com
And here to read "Obama Can Be a Roosevelt, Not a Carter" by David Blake, Ft.com
Extra Credit / Required Reading:
- Dollar Strength on Recognition of Worldwide Crappiness
- Robinson Crusoe and the Subjectivity of Desire
- Reflections on Today, from Henry Clews, 1908.
- Art Market Rules
- The Long View... 1885-2009
- Forecast: The Battle Between Paper and Tangible Assets, A Personal View
- Tobin's Q
- Luxury Goods
- After the Gold Rush...
- The Gaussian Fallacy and other Bullshit Baby Boomer Epistomologi
- Douchebag of the Noughties
- Synopsis of the Panic of '08
- You Know its a Bubble When...
- Quantitative Easing
- Vallejo, CA