20 January 2009

Ambergris

A financial adviser has a fiduciary responsibility to an individual.

But I feel that an economist, as I conceive of it, is a fiduciary to a community and to the future. He is an artist, who like a musician, is a friendly experiencer in an art that is invisible... conceiving in a reality that is at once terrifying, glorious and profound.

I feel that of all of the art forms... music, architecture and economics are the most abstruse and profound because to practice them involves perceiving, visualizing and inventing structures out of the invisible. time

I see my role as a protector of all of those in my circle, be it my parents, all my friends, or generation mgmt. This is more or less what I've been trying to accomplish here, though gnosis can't be transmitted piecemeal as it is in this media.

It is because of this that I often feel a tremendous burden and responsibility. It often causes deafening pressure and stress and frequently is the source of my (sometimes) erratic behavior. I did not start by seeking this role, but in a sense, I suppose, I have been performing as such my whole life in my desire for community and utopia. As I am the only one so qualified in my extended circle of friends, I feel that it is exigent and indeed requisite.

There are many of my friends who I know feel this existential pressure to express "it" in their art. This art is a reflection of the greater vision of our community and the pressure stems from this tremendous responsibility, nay fiduciary duty, to portray (what I, for lack of a better term, call) generation mgmt in the greatest light.

I wish you all the best, and if I ever appear to be too crazy, please know that I only have the best intentions...

I know that someday, we will all find our ambergris.

-Matty Talty

1 comment:

Sadie Stein Blog said...

I have! But remember: it's valuable for its ability to hold perfumes...which are ephemeral but also necessary, no? Time being money etc.